Grand Award Judges Registration & Information
The 2024 CSEF judging interviews will be held April 11, 2024, so mark your calendars now! Grand Awards Judging is an all-day event and judges need to be available from ~8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Thank you for your interest in being a Grand Awards Judge! Registration for Grand Awards Judges is currently OPEN. We will accept registrations through March 1, 2024.
We need scientists, physicians, psychologists, engineers, veterinarians, nurses, and other professionals from the fields of science, mathematics, computer science, medicine, physics, etc. to help us select the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Honorable Mention winners from the 2 division and 12 categories . To register as a Grand Awards Judge, your background needs to reflect the experience, education and expertise for the three categories you select on the registration form.
Undergraduate students are eligible to judge in the Junior Division (grades 6-8) categories only. Graduate students and professionals with at least a bachelor’s degree are eligible to judge in the Senior Division (grades 9-12) categories, but may choose “Junior”, “Senior” or “Either” division on their registration form. The awards given are based upon the CSEF Grand Awards Policy (pdf).
If you are having any difficulties with the registration process or accessing any of the Essential Documents or would like to get more information before registering, please contact Courtney Butler, CSEF Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conflict of Interest Agreement
To ensure a fair judging environment and avoid any possible conflicts of interest, perceived or actual, the CSEF requests that anyone involved in any capacity with a Regional Science Fair that is affiliated with CSEF (i.e.: as a sponsor, teacher or relative of student(s) competing at the CSEF or as a judge at a school, district or regional science fair) disclose this information on the Grand Awards Judging Registration Form. All potential judges for the CSEF will be required to attest to the Conflict of Interest Policy when they submit their registration form (either on paper or online). The Grand Awards Judging Coordinator will determine your eligibility to judge at the CSEF based upon this information and this decision will be FINAL. Regional Fair Directors, Co-Directors and Assistant Directors are NOT eligible to be Grand Awards Judges. Individuals ineligible to participate as a judge will be notified by March 15th.
The following documents will be updated by March 2024 for the April 2024 CSEF. Links for the finalist’s abstract review by Judges and Team Captains will be available before Monday, March 11, 2024, but all abstracts may not posted until the deadline.
2024 Grand Award Judge’s Welcome Letter
2024 Grand Award Judge’s Schedule
2024 CSEF 3-Day Schedule
2024 Grand Award Judging Schedule
2024 Grand Award Judging Criteria/Guidelines
Digital Project Displays in Symposium
Grand Awards Policy (from BOD Policy Handbook)
Regeneron ISEF/CSEF Forms (explanation of forms required for competition)
Conflict of Interest Policy (from BOD Policy Handbook)
Finalist Abstract Review Instructions
This is the approximate timeline for Grand Awards Judging registration, notification, captain assignments and abstract review.
- December 1, 2023 – Grand Awards Judging Registration for 2024 Opens
- February 29, 2024 – Final Team Captain/Assistant Captain Assignments Confirmed
- March 1, 2024 – Grand Awards Judging Registration for 2024 Closes
- March 11, 2024 – Finalist Abstract Submission Deadline
All Team Captains must start the initial abstract review process at this time.
- March 18, 2024 – Deadline to Recommend Project Moves by Team Captains
- March 15, 2024 – Ineligible Grand Award Judges Notified
- March 31, 2024– Review of Digital Project Material Begins
- April 11, 2024 – 69th Annual CSEF Judging Interviews
Grand Awards Judges should expect to follow tentative schedule on the day of judging:
- 9:00 – 9:30 a.m. – Team Captains’/Assistant Captains’ Check-in
- 9:45 a.m. Team Captains’/Assistant Captains’ Orientation
- 9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. – Grand Award Judges’ Check-in
- 11:00 a.m. – REQUIRED Grand Awards Judges’ Orientation
- 11:45 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. – Lunch
- 12:45 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. – Student Interviews
(All students must have at lease 3 GAJ interviews by 3:00 p.m.)
- 5:00 p.m. – Judging Forms due to Grand Awards Judging Coordinator
- 5:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Best-of-CSEF Judging & Dinner
- 8:00 p.m. – Best-of-CSEF Results Due